CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Friday, May 8, 2009

"I Deserve Someone"

*I wrote this back in 2002 when I was 21 after a particularly not-so-great (not) dating experience. No, no one person can ever live up to your ideal.  But I pull it out once a year or so to remind myself that I shouldn't settle for less than amazing because it's entirely possible that I deserve amazing. I recommend everybody write one. 

I Deserve Someone:

_    who understands me

_    who’ll fight for me

_    to go to the movies with

_    who knows how I order a cheeseburger

_    who won’t criticize my music collection

_    who wants to travel

_    who knows you can’t beat a Big Gulp

_    who can have fun at Chuck E. Cheese

_    who makes me laugh

_    who loves my family

_    who wants a dog

_    to kiss my forehead

_    who I can call at 3 a.m. if I need him

_    who can call me at 3 a.m. if he needs me

_    who loves roller coasters and cotton candy

_    who’ll call me on my shit

_    who finds the word “y’all” endearing

_    who reads something other than magazines

_    who knows (most of) the best music was written before 1979

_    who knows how to be friends with a girl

_    who’ll hurt me, who I’ll hurt, and who’ll still be there despite it

_    who doesn’t take himself seriously

_    who loves his family

_    who has at least one “unattainable” dream

_    who understand some movies have to be seen opening night

_    with imagination

_    who knows the importance of a good road trip

_    who makes me feel safe

_    to pick out clothes for

_    to tease

_    who’s a great friend

_    who can laugh at the little things

_    who’s loyal

_    who’s independent

_    who’s passionate

_    who understands the importance of great dialogue

_    who’ll read my writing, even if it’s really late at night

_    who know that sometimes the best conversations are over a cup of coffee

_    who’ll suffer through chick flicks and secretly like a few

_    who knows that “nothing” is a valid answer to the question “what are you  doing?”

_    who thinks I’m beautiful

_    who believes in me

_    to sit on a porch swing with

_    to cry to

_    who’d never cheat

_    who likes to sing, even if he can’t

_    to banter with

_    who’ll humor me and dress up for Halloween

_    who knows that anything is possible

_    who has opinions and who’ll listen to others

_    who’ll take my breath away

_    who knows the best presents have nothing to do with their price

_    who listens

_    who knows the importance of a good rant

_    who secretly likes something written by Jane Austen

_    who makes me feel good about myself

_    who has at least one wildly opposing viewpoint

_    who can handle a trip to a museum

_    who’s patient

_    who gets along with my friends

_    whose friends I get along with

_    who’s not judgmental

_    who has at least one (legal) vice

_    to have a snowball fight with

_    who’ll still build a sandcastle

_    who’s mature, but still in touch with his inner child

_    who still loves the songs, TV shows, & movies from when he was a kid

_    who knows that yes, ain’t is a word

_    who knows how to tell a good story

_    to save the last dance

_    who’ll question the status quo

_    who can appreciate a Cracker Barrel as well as fine dining establishments

_    to do nothing with

_    who knows I don’t wake up looking like this

_    to steal t-shirts from

_    who smells great

_    who’s curious about other cultures

_    who’ll fight back

_    who understands that sometimes spending the whole day in bed is perfectly acceptable

_    who knows me inside and out, and loves me despite, or because of it 

1 comments:

Stevie said...

I deserve someone who doesn't lie to me or toy with my emotions. Someone who treats me like a human being.

But apparently, that's too much to ask. (Oh, yes, I am bitter today.)