CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Anatomy of a WIB

"I can't remember which one I'm supposed to be wearing."



I was logging into my Blogger account the other day when I saw the following: Choose an identity.  Well gee whiz Blogger, would it were that simple.  I would very much like to choose an identity, but after a quarter of a century I’m still having trouble pinning it down.  The past year I learned from men that I am, at any given time, too pretty, too intellectual, too clever, too moody, too frustrating, too creative, too stubborn, too ambitious, too emotional, too insecure, too opinionated, too much.  I try not to internalize these observations, but who are we kidding?  Of course I internalize them.  We all do. 

                And so we play games, wear masks, hide behind who I think I should be or who you think I should be or who I think you think I should be.  The future of the makeup industry depends upon it.  The whole thing gives me a headache.  We have to do it though.  Because we can’t let our guard down, be vulnerable. We learned very early on that vulnerability is the quickest route to heartbreak. 

                Maybe those guys are right.  Maybe I am too much.  Okay, no maybes about it.  When I am not fabulously effervescent I am ridiculously annoying.  But here’s the thing.  Aren’t we all just a little bit too much?  Deep down, aren’t we all afraid that if we drop the masks and unleash the full force of our personalities on another human being they will run screaming into the night?  

Here's what our response should be: to hell with 'em. I just want to be me.  If that’s not good enough for any of us, so be it.  

Unfortunately that is way easier said than done, and I for one am nowhere near being able to make such a declaration.  Which is a shame.  Throwing away all those masks would sure clear up a lot of closet space.


1 comments:

Stevie said...

I'm certainly too much. Always have been. Mom has always gotten on me about opening up "so much" but the thing is....this is me. Like it? Cool, we'll continue on. Don't like it? I'm not going to change, nor would I ask you to. Move along and make room for those who can handle me.

I am too much. I'm getting to where I'm okay with that. One of these days, some amazing man is going to come along that enjoys my crazy and thinks I'm fun. I'm just going to wait instead of wasting my time with little boys who say they can handle it.